Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swap form 5-spd ARV to 6-spd CGR ... lot of problems …

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swap form 5-spd ARV to 6-spd CGR ... lot of problems …

Last week I have been drifting at closed airport and during on of the lunches I have killed my gearbox But I have a 6-spd spare one … I have started with getting the proper equipment. I have shorter crank, new ABY selector mechanism, new clutch slave cylinder. There is no need for dual mass flywheel and ABY clutch because with out ABY spacer it is possible to use old flywheel and clutch. But …

… I have the CGR with extra mountings from S2 avant and the left mount is not the same also I have to move the crank mount about 4 cm to the fornt. I don’t have the pics but it will leve me with out the car for next 2 week’s

If i have know about the problems before i would probably buy extra 5 spd gear box ... but now haf way in the work there is no geting back

If You want to see the prics form the airport go to http://www.streetracing.pl/index.php...ew=3;10n;136;1
    http://www.streetracing.pl/index.php...ew=3;10n;136;2
    http://www.streetracing.pl/index.php...ew=3;10n;136;3
    And a movie http://www.streetracing.pl/misc/1220...o/IMGP0502.avi
    AKmotorsport.net - Manufacturing Motorsport parts that do the job. | Audi S2 on Facebook | Best way of reaching me is sending email to albert@akmotorsport.net

Albert...looks like great fun I wish I had access to an airfield
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

now I have less fun with the replacment of the gear box
      AKmotorsport.net - Manufacturing Motorsport parts that do the job. | Audi S2 on Facebook | Best way of reaching me is sending email to albert@akmotorsport.net

Comment

That video looks like good fun

Can't help with the gearbox swap though - unless you want pictures of an ABY in a coupe - mines jacked up in a garage just now.

Doug
        S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

is it possible to take 2 pics

1) booth mounting arm of the gearbox
          2) central crank mounting area

it would be helpful for me doing a custom

Comment

You need a 6 speed subframe, Albert! When I converted my S2 - engined Coupe quattro to 6 speed, initially I tried using the standard flywheel, without using the spacer. Problem? The clutch would NOT bleed, as the flywheel / clutch assembly was to far away from the clutch release arm and thrust bearing. The distance between the thrust bearing in it's rest position and the bellhousing flange is greater on the CGR (6 speed) box than the ARV (5 speed). I may be wrong, but for the amount of work involved, I would proceed with caution.

Siena

Comment

Originally posted by Vagsport
              You need a 6 speed subframe, Albert! When I converted my S2 - engined Coupe quattro to 6 speed, initially I tried using the standard flywheel, without using the spacer. Problem? The clutch would NOT bleed, as the flywheel / clutch assembly was to far away from the clutch release arm and thrust bearing. The distance between the thrust bearing in it's rest position and the bellhousing flange is greater on the CGR (6 speed) box than the ARV (5 speed). I may be wrong, but for the amount of work involved, I would proceed with caution.

Siena
              we will see it today

but i have one more concern ... what about the electronics that has to be used form 5 sped in 6 sped gear box ... did You have any problems with the plugs and did 5sped plugs match the 6spd gear box ... my mehanic tels me that there is a problem there ?

Comment

The connections are as follows:

Speedo sender - Same on both 5 & 6 speed boxes.

Reverse lamp switch: Standard 2 pin plug on 6 speed box, you'll have to splice the 2 pin plug onto your loom (replaces multi plug on 5 speed box)

As far as I can remember, there are no other electrical connectors, can any one else shed any light on this?

Siena

Comment

Me to

Im at the same place you are. I have the CRB-gearbox but I dont have a clu how to mount it.
                  Owner of S2 Irry-edition

Comment

Hi,
                    I put an S2 6 speed in my coupe. If I remember correctly, you do need the different subframe as mentioned before, but if you check the numbers, I believe the ABY subframe and the B4 V6 subframes are the same.

8A0199313BC

The left and right transmission mounts are different also.

Again these have the same parts numbers as the B4 V6. May be cheaper to get them off one of these instead of buying them off S2 breaker. Anything with S2 costs more.

As the 6 speed is longer, you will also have to use either a S2 driveshaft or a 4000Q.

Greg
                    They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

the gear box works with out the subframe with old 5 spd clutch and fly wheel and disk.

You need
                      - gearbox 6 spd
                      - part form gearhande to the gearbox
                      - mountings left & right
                      - shorter shaft between gearbox and rear diferential
                      - new oil wold be good

that's all

Comment

Thats it?

I have the 6-speed CRB gearbox and slavecylinder.

So all i need is:

mountings left and right from the S2 coupe 6-speed
                        Shortend shaft from gearbox to rear axle.
                        part form gearhande to the gearbox

The clutch from 5-speed fits?

The ingoing axle on the 6speed is both thicker and different splines I´v heard?
                        Owner of S2 Irry-edition

Comment

Re: Thats it?

Originally posted by Beppo

The clutch from 5-speed fits?

The ingoing axle on the 6speed is both thicker and different splines I´v heard?
                          Clutch + flywheel + pressure plate form 5sped can be used, but they have to be used together as a one

from my info the flywheel of 5sped is lighter then the one form 6 sped

about the axle i did not hear a thing

Comment

Working...
                          X